Tennis ball mortars, which can launch tennis balls dozens of feet into the air, are amusing, easy to build, and inexpensive. As the gas inside expands quickly, they propel tennis balls, providing not just entertainment, but also educational value.
People also search for What is the volume of a tennis ball?
The purpose of this article is purely educational. You’ll learn how to make a tennis ball launcher at home with no motor in this article. Our aim is to make learning fun. Here are the things we need to make an effective ball launcher.
- Three empty aluminum cans measuring 10.5 inches (27 cm) tall with a radius of 3.6 inches (10 cm)
- A pair of safety gloves
- Goggles with safety lenses
- An electric drill equipped with a 0.25-inch (0.64-cm) bit
- The sandpaper
- Rolls of duct tape
- Approximately one 3′ (0.91 m) long and 3′ (7.6 cm) wide tube of PVC
- A lighter fluid
- Bricks Tennis ball Earmuffs
- A match
You can get aluminum potato chip cans and use them as the main body.
- Clean thoroughly 3 aluminum cans. To use cans, they must have a diameter of 3 in (7.6 cm) and a height of 10.5 in (27 cm). The tennis ball mortar blast tubes will be made of these cans.
- 1 can should have a 0.25-inch (0.64-cm) hole drilled near the bottom. It is this hole that will be used for lighting the mortar. Always use an electric drill while wearing gloves and safety goggles.
- A hole should be made about 1.2 inches (30 mm) from the bottom of one side of the can. The opening of the hole should be sanded to remove any rough edges
- In both additional cans, drill a hole that is 1.55 inches wide (3.9 cm). Cutting the bottom center out of one can requires tin snips. Cut a circle 1.55 in (3.9 cm) in diameter from the bottom of the can after making an incision of 0.775 in (1.97 cm). To use the other can, follow the same steps.
- After you’ve cut the baffles, sand them thoroughly. After sanding the edges, continue the procedure all the way around. Then smooth all edges with sandpaper. Repeat the procedure with the second can
- Tape all 3 cans together after stacking them. Cans should have a hole on top. After that, place another can right side up on top of this one.
- Place the first can’s baffle atop the second one. Wrap the bottom of the can with duct tape about 3.5 inches long (8.9 centimeters).
- Cover each can except the firing hole with duct tape. After taping the firing hole, cover all exposed surfaces thoroughly with duct tape.
- Enclose the cans with 3 inches (7.6 cm) PVC tubing. Mark a line with a marker approximately 1.2 in (30 mm) from one end of a PVC tube that measures 12.6 in (32 cm) long and 7.6 in (10.5 cm). In the X, place a 5mm drill bit. Ensure that your hole in the tube aligns with the hole in the bottom case you drilled earlier.
- In an open area, take the mortar.
- To add lighter fluid to the mortar, drop 0.08 oz (2.5 mL).
- Add 1 tennis ball to the mortar quickly. Suggested How hanging a tennis ball in the garage can help?
- A match should be lit near the firing hole while wearing earmuffs. Light the match before ensuring you have no lighter fluid on your hands or that anyone is behind the mortar. You’ll hear a loud bang as soon as the flame is brought close to the hole, and the ball will flinch in the air.